• Contact Us
  • Business News

Dog Registration and Ownership

Pets and Other Animals
Dog Registration and Ownership

Caring for your dog and complying with laws is a major component of being a responsible pet owner.

Registration and renewals

It is a legal requirement for all dogs older than three months to be registered. Registrations for one or three years are due on the first of November each year. Lifetime registrations are also available.

To help reunite lost pets with their owners, dogs must always wear their registration tag and an identification tag. The registration tag should be worn with a collar that includes your name and address.

Registering your dog for the first time

To register your dog please complete the registration form:

Please note:

  • Your dog must be microchipped prior to registration.
  • Sterilisation is optional; however, registration fees are discounted for sterilised dogs.
  • Payment is due at the time of application (payment options are listed on the registration form).
  • Concession rates are available for eligible concession and pension cards.

If you are unable to register your dog online or in-person at the City of Canning Civic Administration Building, please call us on 1300 422 664.

A certificate of registration will be mailed to you with a registration tag.

Registration renewals

Registrations for one or three years are due on the first of November each year. Lifetime registrations are also available.

Guide dog registration

Guide dogs can be registered for free. Please complete the registration form:

Registration fees

  Full Concession

Sterilised 1 Year



Sterilised 3 Year



Sterilised Lifetime



Unsterilised 1 Year



Unsterilised 3 Year



Unsterilised Lifetime



Assistance Dog*

Nil Fee Applicable

Dog for droving or tending stock*

¼ of the applicable fee listed above

¼ of the applicable fee listed above

Any new 1-year registration made between 1 June and 31 October is subject to 50 per cent off the registration fee. This is due to the registration expiring on 31 October in the same year, regardless of registration date.

Concession cardholders

Concession cardholders receive 50 per cent off their dog registration fees. The applicable concession and pension cards are:

  • Pensions Concession Holder
  • State Concession Cardholders
  • Commonwealth Seniors Health Card plus a WA Seniors Card

Transfer a registration

Dogs registered with another council can transfer their registration for free.

When transferring, the applicant must show proof of registration with another council, sterilisation, and microchipping, if it isn’t evident on the previous council’s registration certificate.

Change of ownership

If you sell or give your dog to another person, you must complete the Notification of Change of Ownership form within seven days of ownership transfer.

The new owner is required to register their dog. They must complete an application form, which includes the current registration number and tag number. You will be issued a new certificate as proof of registration.

Please ensure all microchip details are updated when changing ownership.

There are no fees associated with transferring ownership.

Kennel registration

All kennels must be registered with the City. Those wishing to establish a kennel must complete the application form and pay a $200 fee.

A licence is issued when the application is approved by the City. The licence must be renewed each year by 31 October.

Please note:

  • If a licence is cancelled, the fee paid for that licence is not refundable for the term that has not yet expired.
  • A currently paid kennel licence is transferable for a fee of $70.
  • All dogs currently residing on a kennel property must be registered and microchipped.
  • There is no registration fee for the dogs on the property as registration is part of the $200 kennel licence fee

More information

All dogs older than three months must be microchipped before registration. Microchipping is a quick, safe, and simple procedure performed by your local vet.

If we find your lost dog, we can scan your dog’s microchip to get your contact details and re-unite you as soon as possible.

Please remember to update your details in the microchip owner database to ensure we have the right contact information.

If your pet details have changed or if your dog has pass away, please complete the relevant form:

Please download the Responsible Dog Ownership brochure (PDF 2.6MB) to learn about your responsibilities as a dog owner.

Part of being a responsible pet owner is choosing the right breed of dog that will suit your lifestyle. Please read the RSPCA Smart Puppy and Dog Buyer’s Guide and consider:

  • Can your fences and gates confine your dog?
  • Do you have a backyard?
  • Is your backyard large enough for a dog to run around in?
  • Does your backyard have shelter?
  • Do you have the time to walk your dog every day?

Caring for your dog in public

Dogs are to always remain under adequate control and on a lead in a public place, except in areas designated as a dog exercise area.

It is also an offence to not remove your dog's excreta. The City provides poo bags at bins in parks and reserves to help you dispose of excreta appropriately.

Dog exercise areas

Dogs are allowed off the leash when in approved exercise areas, provided they:

  • are easily controlled by someone (for example the dog will come back when called)
  • do not chase or show signs of aggression towards people or other animals
  • are close to their owner so the leash can be quickly attached if need be.

Do you have barking dog issues, or been involved in or observed a dog attack? Please contact Ranger and Community Safety Services on 1300 422 664.

If you and your pet become separated, or you have found a wandering dog, please contact Ranger and Community Safety Services on 1300 422 664.

We need to prepare for the safety of our pets in times of emergencies and natural disasters.

Pets need their owners to keep them safe in an emergency. You must plan and prepare for the safety of your pets, livestock, or other farm animals before a potential natural disaster affects you.

More information:

To protect the community, State Government legislation makes certain dog breeds restricted. Visit the Department of Local Government, Sport and Cultural Industries website to learn more.

Was this page helpful?

Thank you for your feedback!